I've been a fan of DKNY PR Girl on Twitter, since, I have no idea when. It's definitely been years. So when I found out that the woman behind the brand, Aliza Licht, was coming out with a book about her career and the ins and outs of social media, I pre-ordered with a quickness. Tonight, I got to attend a book reading for Leave Your Mark, and let me tell you, it didn't disappoint!
So I'm watching Aliza, in a chic green dress, sky high platforms and a bold red lip. Of course I knew she'd have more insight than I'd be ready for, so it was time to get some lessons. I don't want to take away from the book, so I'm going to give you seven tidbits I learned from the her today.
- Aliza started off with an internship in accessories at a major magazine. She knew she wanted to be in PR, so she taught herself everything she could by learning from the PR people she interacted with on a daily basis.
- Aliza found her assistant through a blog post that she created. A simple tweet by the blogger led to an organic conversation on social media. She's now been in the position at DKNY for four years.
- You can learn a lot from strategically following people. Want to be a beauty editor? Follow every beauty editor you can find on Twitter, and study them.
- If you meet someone via networking, connect with them ASAP (the next day) to reaffirm the connection.
- Between the ages of 22-30, give it all you've got so you can have an established career in your thirties and beyond.
- Build your network before you need it.
- When you are writing your resume, skip the fluff. Make sure every sentence has a purpose.
To be honest, I have five pages of notes from the event. She totally blew me away with the amount of info she shared. I walked out of that building feeling like I could conquer the world. If you're looking for tips on scoring your dream job or killing it in social, be sure to follow Aliza on Twitter and/or Instagram, and to buy her book here!